© Copyright 2014 Coleene Quinn, Mission Beach Celebrant | Cairns Celebrant | Townsville Celebrant  Site designed by Visual Vistas.

Legal requirements



A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be completed and lodged at least one calendar month, and no more than eighteen months before the wedding date.

Birth Certificates    You MUST produce your original birth certificates (not photocopies). If born in Australia you can get a copy of your Birth Certificate from the Department of Births Deaths and Marriages in the State you were born.

Certificate of Name Change: Must also be provided if your name has been changed other than by a previous marriage.

  • If you are divorced:  You must produce a Decree Absolute or Divorce Certificate.
  • If you are widowed:  The original Death certificate must be produced.

  Note: Any document in a foreign language must be translated into English and certified as a correct translation.


Two witnesses who are both over the age of 18 must to be present at your wedding to sign the

Marriage Register and Certificates.  I can arrange witnesses for you if necessary.

Prior to the wedding, both partners will be required to sign a Declaration under the Marriage Act 1961, stating it is their belief there is no legal impediment to the marriage.

Photo identification (such as drivers licence or passport) must also be produced.


Please contact me and I will email specific information and forms for your application to marry in Australia.